Wednesday, October 1, 2008

About this 'wurk' thing...

So yeah, Monday night was my first night training at my new job. (Yes, I have a job other than 'mom' now. It was either get a job, or we don't do Christmas, which would you choose?)

My new place of employment is on the Missouri side, and I'm a server (ie: waitress), which means I have to go and get an Employee Liquor Permit to serve alcohol. Apparently you can't serve alcohol if you're a convicted felon in the state of Missouri. Um, okay, whatever.

Stupid me did not go online to get the application, I drove all the way downtown to find out the fee is $40, and they only accept CASH or money order. I did not have $40 in cash on my person, naturally, because we don't have any extra spending cash, and I only use the debit card when we do. Wasted gas and time. Bleh.

And, everyone at my new job is a republican. And not the sane, normal kind, either.

See, I would have been a republican back in 1856 when they led the charge to free the slaves, and also in 1896 when they were the first party to play a leading role in securing women the right to vote. The Republicans of the day worked to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, which outlawed slavery, the Fourteenth, which guaranteed equal protection under the laws, and the Fifteenth, which helped secure voting rights for African-Americans.* They've done some awesome things. And I'm also a big fan of Barry Goldwater.

Republicans want smaller government, and I'm all for that, really I am. But NEITHER party has given us smaller government. And the republicans are the ones responsible for the collapse of our financial system. They were the ones who de-regulated the banking industry. Bill Clinton may have signed it, but the republicans were in charge in Congress.

But anyway, back to being surrounded by them at work. Today, while reading my weekly dose of Dan Savage, I discovered that Pepsi has donated $500,000 to Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays. Guess what we serve at work! You guessed it, PEPSI!

It makes me so happy to know that money made by people who are violently against gay rights goes to PFLAG.

It makes me sad to see what the Republican party has become. They used to fight for the rights of individuals, but now they fight against them.

*From RNC.org

2 comments:

"The D" said...

There's a Hooters in MO?

Anonymous said...

Sure there is The D! There is one out next to Kobe's in IndepMO, and I am sure there are at least a couple more.

Anyway no matter where you are working, good luck. And don't let the naroow minds get to ya!