Thursday, June 19, 2008

a day in the life of a mom...

So today started out pretty uneventful. Matt wanted to go to the 'big' pool (ie Grandview's public pool vs the kiddie pool in the driveway) so I told him we would go if it didn't rain. We made it to the pool, but not before a trip to the Emergency Room at what used to be Baptist Medical Center (it's now part of Research).

Why? I'm so glad you asked!

Josie decided it would be fun (I'm guessing, not really sure how a two year old decides things) to put a piece of broken chalk up her right nostril. Much screaming ensued. After I figure out why the hell she's crying and sticking her finger up her nose, I called her pediatrician, but they can't get her in until after 2pm today. It's like 10:30 am, and there is no way in hell I'm waiting that long. So I packed everyone in the car and we head off to the ER. Josie, of course, falls asleep on the way there, so I stop at McDonald's and pick up lunch because I KNOW Matt will start bitching about how hungry he is the moment the car stops. If not before.

So I'm filling out the form, and the kids are eating lunch in the waiting room. Josie is no longer screaming in pain. In fact, she's running around like she's just fine and dandy, and there is no longer any chalky substance coming out of her nose. Being the paranoid mom that I am, I decided to go ahead and have the doctor look at her anyway.

Of course the chalk has managed to desolve by this point. The doctor said there was still a bit of residue and a small scratch, but she was fine. Cost for my peace of mind: $75 co pay.

Thanks to the awesome nurse Monty, the kids had balloons to play with:

He even got Josie to put the heart monitor on her finger, no screaming! I was very impressed. Josie even wore her pretty bracelet for most of the visit.

Stopping to get food was the smartest move I made. Neither kid cried or screamed, and both behaved for the hour we were there. And it was only an hour. It was 11:26am when we checked in, and it was 12:25pm when we got to the car, which was parked right outside the door.

We came home, I updated Keith, packed the swimsuits, sunscreen and towels, and we headed to the pool.

Of course, since I left the sunroof open on the car, it started raining a little after 3pm, so we had to come home.

I'm exhausted.


Bluegreen Momma said...

Oh my.... you certainly had a very eventful day didn't you?! Glad all is well though. :)

Donna said...

I love that Mohawk! My daughter took a spell of putting things up her nose when she was near two years old. She got a dry bean somewhere and stuck it up there, I thought I'd NEVER get it out!

Stacey said...

hehe. Why oh why do kids that age think it's so great to put stuff up their noses?

Your day was more "fun" than mine, thank gawd.

Spyder said...

I'm exhausted imagining me doing all that.